Monday, December 28, 2009

What Could Go Wrong?

I would love to say I haven't been writing much lately because of the baby and the holidays, but really, it's because depression has been kicking my ass. No, I am not talking about seasonal blues, although I am not discounting that, because I know it is serious. My depression comes from the fact that for the fourth time in my life I am having to change anti-depressants, and the switch is killing me.

I have a very good reason for switching, or at least my insurance company does. They have decided that the pills I have been taking for six years with no side effects no longer work for them. I am sure this is probably harder on them than it is for me. I mean, while I am suffering panic attacks, crying jags, physical symptoms like dizziness and heartburn, they probably have a ton of paperwork to do. Oh, and they probably had to hire extra security in case I reach DEFCON 4.

There is something I can ado though. While they no longer cover the medication that was working for me, my insurance does cover the generic version of a similar medicine, and Abilify.



Yeah, did you watch the end? The side effects? Headaches. Anxiety (um, shouldn't that be fixed?). Insomnia. Nausea. Suicidal thoughts. Blurred vision. Cough. Pain. Difficulty swallowing. Shakiness. Uncontrollable muscle movements. Stroke. Coma. Oh, and, yeah, death.

I just hope my insurance covers those... Or at least the generic versions of them.

15 comments:

She Said said...

I'm so sorry, Libby. I recently had a problem with my anti-depressants too, and IT SUCKS. My heart goes to you during this difficult time.

She Said said...

Oh, and insurance companies can suck it.

Alyson said...

Ugh. As a mental health professional these situations infuriate me. I realize my advice is completely unsolicited so feel free to disregard. What's your relationship like with your prescriber? I ask because I know of some prescribers who have gone as far as making a phone call or writing a letter to the insurance provider detailing their objections to a switch in medication and listing potential consequences of said change (especially suicidal ideation). Insurance companies would like to eliminate such a liability.

In any event, I'm sorry to hear about your struggle. Best wishes.

Amanda said...

Lib, that really sucks. I am so sorry that is what you are having to endure right now.

Chief said...

Oh this is such a pain in the butt.

My insurance did the same thing to me last year. just sent the generic for Zoloft without telling me. after three months I was so far in a hole I thought I would need the paddy wagon.

My Dr. finally forced them to put me back on the original med.

Do they not realize what these meds do for us and that you can't just juggle them back and forth? DUMBASSES!

I just read ALY's response. That is what my Dr. did. and it worked. it is ugly getting them to do it but when they finally do, it is worth it.

Amy Jane said...

I second Aly... this is UNACCEPTABLE!! your prescriber has a professional obligation to advocate for you and for the treatment that keeps you most stable. Sounds like the symptoms you have been experiencing are MORE than sufficient to deem your current medication trial as a FAILURE and give plenty reason for you to be able to go back to your old med.

Sorry for all the caps... I really was yelling... and would be happy to do so in a contained manner with your insurance company if you want someone to pretend they are you and manipulate them into giving you the healthcare you rightfully deserve.

by the way... I love you... depressed or not, you are hilarious, smart, kind and fun. Hang in there.

Cate said...

I have some tic tacs that you could take. They have less side effects than your new pills, plus they will leave you minty fresh!

Kelly said...

I have also had an issue with my insurance company not paying for medication that has been prescribed for me. I note from my doctor got it approved very quickly, I didn't have to do anything, it was all between the doctor and the pharmacist. Definitely something to look into, especially if what you had been on had worked for so long.

Anonymous said...

That's terrible. Those insurance companies really have a lot to answer for. Hope things get better very soon.

Princess Stupidhead said...

Little known fact I learned from HR: If the pill that is no longer covered is the one that works for you and the others don't you can file an appeal with the insurance company. The doctor will have to fill out a form that provides the reasons why you need this pill and sometimes they make exceptions. It's probably worth a try if your doctor is cool with it.

Anonymous said...

I totally lean towards depression too. I hate it but I do and I know what you're going through! Love you!

Logical Libby said...

Hey everyone, thanks for your kind words. My doctor has already said we can file an appeal, but we have to document the first drug didn't work. I am hoping this is just temporary.

Thanks again.

Kim said...

That sucks. I suggest you show up at the insurance company with crazy woman makeup petting a dead cat. That might speed things along.

Unknown said...

That sucks Libby. I just found a medication that works for me, and if my insurance stopped covering it... well, I'd probably do what Kim suggested. I'm fairly certain my husband would drive me. Hope everything works out soon. *hugs*

Anonymous said...

I don't suffer from depression but I DO suffer from anxiety and anti-depressants only make it worse. I wish you nothing but the best and hope that you don't have to go through many different prescriptions to find what works for you. You might want to supplement with some time for you and maybe even a yoga class. It does wonders. So much love to you!