Wednesday, October 21, 2009

My Gift to You

The re-gift. There is not a person in the world who has not given one, or received one. Anyone who says different is either clueless, or lying. Everyone has had that moment when they have hastily wrapped something because they have either forgotten a gift giving occasion, are totally broke, or don't really care about the person getting said gift. And who hasn't opened a present only to find that the box has been opened, or there is Christmas wrap stuck to the back (oh, and it's not Christmas), or that the item in question was produced in 1985. NO ONE! We all do it. We all re-gift, and accept re-gifted items. So, I think it's time we all just admit, and be open about it.

Think of it this way: regifting is green gifting. Instead of taxing the earth to buy a new item, the giver is using something already here, and making sure it is not thrown away in vain (or put in a basement to gather dust). We should regift with pride! Wrap that piece of crap we didn't want in plastic grocery bags and write a card on the back of a magazine subscription card just to let everyone know how ecologically friendly it is.

Of course, while those regifting should do so with the zeal and self-satisfaction of Prius owners, they should also expect a little mocking and derision -- like Prius owners. The person receiving the regift should be allowed to recognize it, and loudly tell the story about it. For instance, my sister received a set of goblets for her wedding that had not been sold at the store in question for more than a decade. And they were not pretty goblets at all -- they were like something out of "Labyrinth." She should be able to tell that story with vigor, milking it for every laugh she can get -- especially when the regifter is present. After all, if they can't enjoy the story as well, what the point?

Oh, one more thing, the person getting the regift shouldn't have to write a thank you note. After all, if ecology is the point, do we really want to kill a tree to write a thank you note? Or, if a thank you note is required, I think the receiver should be allowed to send a thank you note previously sent to them. Think of the possibilities! Give a baby blanket, get a note for a chafing dish! Give a chafing dish, get a note for crotchless panties. It would be like a weird "Choose Your Own Adventure" book!

I am so glad I thought of this before the holidays! Or, rather, that I was forced to think of it. I mean, really, who gives a change purse as a baby gift? Turning it into a positive though, because I am sure my sister needs a change purse! And my nieces need "doll" clothes that Meg has grown out of! Oh, I can't wait to shopping in my basement -- and save the world.

11 comments:

Susan said...

I really like the idea of reusing thank you cards. If anyone ever sent them, I mean.
I used to work in an art gallery, where someone brought a gift to return that had been wrapped in one of our boxes. It was a molded gnome candle, whose colors had faded in the sun over the course of who knows how many years.

LB @Wait, She Said What? said...

Ok I love the reused thank you cards part. That would be awesome!

Scribe said...

I always recycle my Christmas cards, and with a birthday one week before Christmas regifting is the key! My last year's Christmas gifts seem to find their way back to me. Perhaps it's my choice of gifts. A chafing dish is on top of my list!

Cate said...

I really like this idea. I have a lovely set of goblets that scream 1st birthday present for a certain young lady.

Chelsie said...

Too bad you alreaday bought all those great gifts at the state fair...Oh well

Anonymous said...

I give away SO many teacher gifts.... Which apple thing do you want?

Badass Geek said...

Some of my in-laws give us gifts that we don't want, but are so hideous that the only place we can re-gift them to is Goodwill, or the trash can.

Kelly said...

My sister notoriously regifts every Christmas. I really think she thinks she's being slick, but I know that her celebration with her in-laws is on Christmas Eve, and every year, my daughter, my mom and I all get some hideous bath sets. I'm sure they were all wrapped the night before, last year, she even kept one of Mack's in the bag it originally came in, and forgot to pull off the tag. Too funny.

Aunt Juicebox said...

I guess this is just the time of year to be thinking about gift giving. I have always wanted to give hideous gifts to people I didn't like, but am obligated to give a gift to anyway. I have received some pretty awesome shite in my day, and I never say to the person "wow, you really don't like me, do you?" so I'm sure I could get away with doing it too, IF I had the balls to do it.

Anonymous said...

I always give people good letterpress cards, but write my note on a Post-It inside so they can re-use it. I wish more people did that for me, heh. :)

DC Diva said...

We've received. We've done.

We love it.