Monday, September 21, 2009

Fair Deals

The Utah State Fair ended yesterday. Yes, it will be another year until the residents of this state can eat deep fried Twinkies and while bargain pricing ninja stars. People go to the fair for all different reasons. Some go to eat all of the various fried, barbecued, and fried barbecued foods to see if they can make their hearts explode. Some like to test fate by going on thrill rides assembled and maintained by nine fingered high school drop outs. Some go to make sure mullets are still in fashion. Oh, yeah, and a couple go for the agricultural exhibits. Those are all excellent reasons to go to the fair. For me though, only one thing keeps me coming back: Christmas shopping.

The fair has gifts that I can't find anywhere else in such abundance. I can't even start to describe the looks of surprise and wonder on the faces of the people who receive them. They always want to know just where I did my shopping. Novelty signs? Check. Spray painted dancing foam birds? Oh, yeah. And who doesn't love a bar mirror with a Corvette on it? No one I know. This year I focused on three booths to do most of my shopping. Now, if you are a person on my Christmas list, you'll want to stop reading... I mean, unless you want to ruin the surprise.

Okay, you've been warned...

This booth was my first stop and where I did the bulk of my shopping. I think you can all see why. I mean, there is something for everyone -- from the lovers or unicorns to the lovers of America. Not only that, but I had the option of getting the shirts in acid wash, for my friends and family who are a bit "fancier." Oh, and none of them are cotton, so they won't shrink. It is no secret that I try to buy the love of the children in my life. That is why this year every one of them is getting a samurai sword. Well, at least the older ones are. I got those littler knives in the corner for the younger ones. After all, safety first. I can't wait to see their little faces on Christmas morning. I have a feeling their lives will never be the same, and it will all be because of "cool" Aunt Libby.

There are two people in my life who are really hard to buy for: Tara and my Mom. So, I think you can understand the glee I felt when I saw this new addition to the fair marketplace. It's art, but it also tells time, so it's perfect for these multi-tasking ladies. Also, both of them have kind of become environmentalists, so the fact that these clocks are made out of wood AND have pictures of bears on them make them the perfect "green" gift. I just wish I hadn't spent most of my money on t-shirts and swords so I could have gotten myself one as well.

I cannot wait until Christmas!
Thank you Utah State Fair!

11 comments:

Scribe said...

Now thems some snazzy t-shirts. I think I want one with the grizzly catching the fish. Just saying - in case I am on your list!

LB @Wait, She Said What? said...

Now I just feel silly for skipping a local fair this past weekend. Where was my head?

Anonymous said...

I REALLY like the pegasus in purple shirt! Oh please, Libby... I hope you bought me one!!!!

justmakingourway said...

I'm happy that both land and sea animals are represented. Nothing says awesome as much as a jumping dolphin by moonlight shirt!

And the clocks?!? Dying over here!

Aunt Juicebox said...

Man, that kick ass wolf shirt would go great with my mullett!

Amanda said...

TARA ALWAYS GETS THE GOOD GIFTS.

Unknown said...

I'd like to place an order for that Bear Clock... maybe next year. But I do agree with Jules, that pegasus shirt RAWKS.

for a different kind of girl said...

Those are some fine shirts. I'm a bit disappointed that there's not a selection of shirts with artfully cut hems that are then twisted and capped with beads, but that's a small detail. Someone took the time to tie-dye, and that means it's made with love.

I forgot those mirrors with the photos on them! You can always count on one with a pot leaf or Nickelback on them that is perfect for someone on the list!

Shannon said...

I'm so laughing my ASS off right now! Especially at the bar mirror with a corvette! I SO can't miss the fair next year!

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOD, I got as far as 'Christmas shopping' and I panicked. Christmas?? Please ... not yet ... I am sweating now

Tara said...

Nothing says bff like a decoupage clock. I'm getting you something from Fingerhut.