Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Pretty Baby

There are many advantages to adopting. I didn't didn't fat because I was pregnant, I got fat because I was enjoying eating and drinking. Ryan can share in the late night feedings because I am not the food bag. I don't have to worry that the baby has gotten any of our crazy genes. Oh, and when people compliment what a beautiful baby she is I can just say "I know."

I think most biological parents, at least the ones I know, feel strange when their babies are complimented on their looks. They have to throw in something like "well, she has her Dad's weird chin" or "at least she doesn't look like me." With Meg, Ryan and I have no stake in the looks department, we had nothing to do with it, so we can just sit back and bask in her glory. And, really, she is glorious.

Meg was pretty at birth, with beautiful skin and clear eyes, but as she has grown she has gotten even better looking. Her skin is luminous and changes colors with the light. It goes from dark cocoa in the morning to toffee in full sun. Her hair is curly and silky, and goes into perfect ringlets after her bath or when we put the hair oil on it. Her eyes go from grayish blue to hazel, and her smile, oh, her smile. The first time she flashed it at me (awake) was yesterday, and I was so overwhelmed that I started to cry. Honestly, Meg's smile is the reason Obama's health care meeting went so well in Montana. And that was just over Skype.

Really, I feel bad for other babies. Sometimes I worry about taking Meg out because grandmothers who see her ask if they can get pictures to replace pictures of their ugly grandchildren. Other babies try to pull their little hats over their faces to avoid comparison. Ryan insists we only drive her in the car with the tinted windows because her cuteness might distract other drivers and cause accidents. Oh, and I can say all this without sounding vain, because she looks nothing like me.

Oh, and she's smart too. I can't tell you how I know, because I don't want to start a bidding war between Harvard and Yale so early. Also, the CIA has expressed interested. I mean, someone so cute and so smart? Especially now that Robert Novak can't blow her cover? World peace could be coming soon.

Of course, I could be biased.

12 comments:

Yellow Trash Diaries said...

I don't know how it happened, but my children were ridiculously gorgeous babies. (I think two negatives make a positive or something.) Anyway, my good friend had the misfortune of having an unattractive baby (someone's got to have 'em) and everywhere we went people went out of their way to coo and compliment over Megan, never saying a word about my friend's baby. I think it's the cheeks that get people-- those my kids definitely got from me. Not so cute on a 38 year-old, though.

*Akilah Sakai* said...

Libby, you are totally smitten and it's quite the enjoyment watching you melt into a puddle of love ... one blog post at a time.

Enjoy her before she turns 2 and her heads spins. ;-)

Badass Geek said...

Biased? Naw. =)

Anonymous said...

You know, some babies are legitimately gorgeous. Yours is one of them. :-)

Sandi said...

I always say "I know" when people compliment my children. I had nothing to do with their good looks I just agree with them.

Susan said...

People are always noting how much Sugarplum and Studley look like us. They are not old enough to be offended, yet.

Sharon said...

Obviously that baby is advanced. I can just tell. I'm advanced too.

justmakingourway said...

You are so not biased. Other babies should be hiding their faces with the shame of their semi-cuteness.

Thank god my kids are too big to be compared to her!

*Akilah Sakai* said...

Hey there, Hot Mama!

I have an award for you over on my blog. Scroll to August 19th.

Aunt Juicebox said...

Ha, believe me I'd like to replace all my relatives with your baby. The actual relatives, not just their pictures.

MomZombie said...

It's been such a thrill (as an adoptive mom myself) to watch you fall head over heels in love.
P.S. I like your new blog design, too.

Samantha said...

Oh, I doubt you're biased. Just observant. ;)

I had all these same feelings about J. as a baby. When I'd open her door in the morning and she was standing up in the crib smiling at us, I'd feel like I'd just suffered a blow to the head with a blunt object, so gobsmacked was I by her beauty. I told David she looked like an alien--no human could be so cute. He said she looked like a Pixar baby--someone would have had to animate her, since she couldn't exist in the flesh. And I did spend a lot of time agreeing with strangers--"Isn't she? Uncanny, isn't it?"--without the slightest twinge of egotism. It rocked. Still does.