Sunday, June 14, 2009

Career Counseling

I love my job, really I do. It is fits me, and plays to my strengths in that I don’t have to wear a suit, or pretend to be nice to people, or do physical labor. However, even though I really do enjoy my profession, and feel I am relatively good at it, once or twice a year I get an itch to do something else. Usually these itches are scratched when I realize there is no other profession that will pay me as well, or excite me as much as my current one. I mean, there are lots of things I do better, or enjoy doing more, but they really can’t be considered “careers.” Oh, but if they were…

Five Jobs I Would Love, If They Were Real Professions
  1. Professional Heckler Many times I have had people ask me if I have considered doing stand up comedy. My answer is usually “I don’t like to stand.” Really though, I would be a lousy stand up comic. I mean, I’m funny. I know I’m funny. I am just not that kind of funny. My humor is less about routines, and more about mocking whatever is going on around me. That’s why the position of professional heckler would be perfect. I have never seen a comic that I couldn’t mock. Bands and public speakers are also highly mockable. The only problem is, most people on stage don’t want attention, or money, going to a person off stage making them look like an ass. Instead, they usually just want to beat that person up. Trust me.
  2. Anxiety Attack Counselor Believe it or not, I am excellent at talking people through anxiety attacks, most likely because I have experienced so many of them firsthand. No, I don’t want to be a psychologist or other mental health professional, that requires going back to school and listening to people’s pissing and moaning. I just want to be the person called in when the room is spinning and someone is about to lose their shit. Then it’s my time to shine. I can get someone taking deep breaths, and concentrating on nonsensical happy thoughts in just minutes. I don’t think I could afford the liability insurance for such a job though.
  3. Ridiculous Dancer I am a horrible dancer. I am sure I have mentioned this before (because it scarred my psyche), but when I was a kid my tap dance teacher told my Mom my taking lessons was a waste of her money and my time. Despite that, I love to dance. According to Ryan it is quite a sight to see. So, why not let people see it? For a small fee I will come to any event and start dancing. Then, everyone else will relax, because they know they can’t dance worse than I do, and take to the floor. I could call myself a “covert party starter.” Believe it or not, this is the most plausible alternative career option.
  4. Personal Speechwriter Have to make a speech at a wedding/funeral/gradutation/bris but have no clue what to say that isn’t boring/inappropriate/borderline racist? Well, that’s where I come in! I am great at impromptu speeches, especially when there are people present to mock (see number one). I will write you a speech, and (for an added fee) coach you on how to give it! My services are cheap! So cheap in fact there is no way I could make a living it this. I mean, I guess I could if I wanted to write “major speeches” as well as nuptial toasts, but that just sounds like too much pressure.
  5. Blogger Really, who the hell makes a living at that? No, I mean people who haven’t made deals with the devil.
I am sure if I had the moxie I could make at least one of those careers work out. However, instead of moxie I have a house payment, and the possibility of a child. So, I guess for now I will be playing it safe. Or maybe I can become an insane person’s job counselor… I mean, in my free time away from my real job.

15 comments:

Sandi said...

I am TOTALLY calling you next time I am having a full blown attack. You can talk me off the ledge anytime. and I am sure Brandon will pay you for it.

Yellow Trash Diaries said...

My friend asked why I don't do ads on my blog. Well, 1. the few people who read me would have to click on about a thousand times apiece per day 2. I'm afraid what Google would see as my demographic. I'd probably end up with all those "Meet Asian Girls" ads.

Amy Jane said...

I can totally vouch for # 2... you are the best, Libby!

Anonymous said...

The ONLY people who can help someone in the throws of an anxiety attack are people who actually have had many of them before. It is too bad that you can't do that for a living because it is seriously helpful and the people out there being paid to help people with anxiety are generally no help at all.

Did I tell you about my counsellor who not only gave out my phone number to another of her clients without my consent but also thought that it was amusing that people in our support group couldn't drink coffee but she could?

Of all of those I think that I would love to be a professional blogger and I am willing to make that deal with the devil if that's what it takes.

Vic said...

I think "covert party starter" sounds excellent! Do you dance like Elaine on Seinfeld?

You'd be like human kindling!

Yellow Trash Diaries said...

Let's become truck drivers and we can eat lots of diner food get people to flash us their tits. I'm not very good with big vehicles, though, so you may have to do all the actual driving. I will do the pharmaceutical speed. Or we could just do a Thelma and Louise.

I just realized we are both only 5 feet tall and would have to sit on phone books- haha!

Yellow Trash Diaries said...

But we could get really cool tattoos and grow out our mustaches.

Tattoos looks wrong. Not like sleeping with a 17-year-old kind of wrong, but still wrong.

We could have cool CB names-- I'd love to hear the other truckers say, "That's ten-four Big Pussy, I'm on your 6."

Princess Consuela Bananahammock said...

#1 would be RAD! #2, my best friend only started getting horrible anxiety/panic attacks. She's afraid of coffee now (we're both serious addicts). And I would pay you some serious moolah to be a Ridiculous Dancer at my next wedding... although it might not be for another ten years. But still.

Princess Consuela Bananahammock said...

p.s. Kim's comments crack me up BIGTIME. Breaker-Breaker one-nine, Big Pussy!

rachaelgking said...

"My humor is less about routines, and more about mocking whatever is going on around me."

Please can we be friends? This is my favorite hobby.

Thanks.

She Said said...

If you made a living at any of the five, you could also add a #6 to your list - writing a how-to guide on making your own wildly successful dream job. With your writing skills, it would sure to be a national best seller! :)

Tiffany said...

Can I just say that I just found your blog by pure luck and I am in LOVE with it. This blog is so original and witty. I'll be blog stalking
ha

Gina said...

I would love to be a heckler. My friend Hedge and I aren't allowed to sit together at functions where there is public speaking (as decreed by anyone who has met us before and is attending the same function) because of our mad heckling skills.

dance teacher said...

This is my firt post!.. just wanted to say how much I love your Blog!!

Anonymous said...

This is my first post I'd love to congratulate you for such a terrific quality forum!
Was thinking this is a perfect way to make my first post!

Sincerely,
Sage Brand
if you're ever bored check out my site!
[url=http://www.partyopedia.com/articles/bachelorette-party-supplies.html]bachelorette Party Supplies[/url].