Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Morning News: Harder Than It Looks

For a number of years, I worked on the morning show while pursuing my Masters in Education. Yes, I have a Masters in Education, and it looks quite lovely in the drawer where I keep it, but that is a story for another time. Working the morning show was perfect for being a student, because it meant I was there from 11 o'clock at night until 7 in the morning, leaving me time to go to school. However, it also meant that I wasn't firing on all cylinders all the time. I think that anyone who has ever worked the morning show shift will tell you it happens to everyone. Spelling mistakes that you normally wouldn't make, say in the word cat for instance, are made and not caught, because, in a sleep deprived state, spelling it cayt looks proper. Also, any sense of humor or irony is lost. One has to be very careful about sources to make sure they are accurate, and not completely coming from the minds of baked college students who are experts at photoshop. Of course, occasionally, something slips by:

I am sure many of you are thinking "that can't be real." However, my first thought was "it's very easy to fool someone who has only had two hours of sleep in the past four weeks." Poor bastard. Probably still looking at the screen and not quite getting it. Once he or she is put on a later shift though, and starts getting a full eight hours at night, they are going to be so embarrassed...

4 comments:

She Said said...

Whoever did this should write for The Simpsons. Bart needs some new lines for Moe.

DC Diva said...

Amen. And I love that you wrote "every" when you meant "ever" half-way through this post. Illustrating the point? Noon show shift effects? One is left only to wonder...

Logical Libby said...

Nah, my proof reading skills are bad at any time of the day...

Jamie said...

I am laughing out loud, at a conference. Thanks for sharing.