Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Gift That Keeps on Snarking

For my birthday I received many lovely gifts -- most of them monkey related. I got wonderful monkey gift cards, a monkey wooden puzzle, and even a monkey sling shot that I will post video of later. I love torturing Sally with it... Tara, of course, had to be just a bit different and get me something I never would have though of: a lemon tree.

Now, there are two things that make this an odd gift -- the fact that Utah is possibly the worst climate in the
world for citrus trees, and the fact that I kill anything green that I touch (witness my 72 dollar garden). However, I was willing to look past both those things, just because the tree is so lovely. Also, Tara has turned me on to other things I wasn't so sure about but ended up loving later -- like Sangrita, and shirts that aren't one size fits all. I actually found myself getting kind of teary eyed that Tara would send such a thoughtful gift, that would grow over the years with our friendship, and bear fruit like our eventual children and other accomplishments.

Then, the next day, I got the card, and I was totally snapped out of my bucolic friendship reverie and back into reality. You have to see it yourself to believe it...

Thank God for that card. I was really worried that our friendship was going deeper than sarcasm and petty bitching... I just don't have the energy for that, especially since now I have to keep this damn tree alive.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I LOVE TARA!!
We need to get her back in town & then lure Em here for a snark-fest of the ages!!

Tara said...

Thanks Mandy.

And you're supposed to take the damn tree INSIDE in the winter.

Emily-Ione said...

I love her and I want to sit next to her at the bar.
NOW!
Tara can I be your friend??