Sunday, June 22, 2008

Night of the Rhino

One last story from Mexico...

I have already mentioned the fact that every night just after sundown some type of bug would hatch and swarm us as we sat on the deck. Some had black wings, some had green wings, all were very annoying. On our second to last night little beetle type things started flying around. It was like being invaded by flying nickels. There was no way to ignore it when one of these things landed on your shoulder. However, since none of us wanted to go to bed or hide in the kitchen with the doors shut, we just went with the standard protocol of batting them away and trying to blase about it. That is until this guy showed up...



Yes, that is me screaming like a ninny in the background. You see, that rhinoceros beetle had just made his entrance into the party by landing on my head. So, I put my hand up to push away what I thought was a small menace, and got a whole handful of creepy. I think you can understand my shrieking now.

After we had all freaked out (except Lindsey, notice how calm she is sitting there?) we began looking at ways at getting that big boy back out into the yard where he belonged. However, he wasn't quite ready to go...



See how strong that little bastard was? He even too much for Ryan "Rhino Hunter" Hoglund and his sugar bowl of doom. There was only one thing to do -- turn off all the lights and hope he would thing we all went to bed and take off. And that's what we did. But then he still wouldn't leave. He just dropped to the table and sat there. Finally Ryan used a board game box to scoop him up and take him out to the lawn. He swears the crabs that were gathered scattered the second they saw the Rhino. I guess I would have too.

I just wonder what other bugs we would have seen had we stayed a while longer... Something the size of a coffee table perhaps?

1 comments:

BeeBee said...

And people told us that there were freaky bugs in FL. LOL. I'd so be screaming to if that thing landed on me! Speaking of bugs and such, when are you coming to visit us? :-)