Sunday, April 29, 2007

My saving grace

As many of you know, I recently decided to rejoin Weight Watchers. This has not been easy because I love food. I mean, really love it. Also, I work in a television newsroom -- which for some reason is a vortex of food. Someone is always having a birthday, or bringing in baked goods, trying to get rid of leftover food from a meeting, or opening a bag of chips to share. Honestly, if day goes by when someone does not bring food into the newsroom people get edgy. They start hoarding sugar packets and non-dairy creamer just in case the famine goes on for more than an afternoon.

Since I have gotten back on the fat wagon I cannot take part in the newsroom buffet. No birthday cake. No celebratory donuts. No chocolate bars Tamara brought in because her mother-in-law works for Hershey (I love that woman. Never met her, but I love her.). I mean, technically I could partake, because of the points plan -- but then I wouldn't be able to eat anything else for like three days. So, I have been sitting on the sidelines watching other people, skinny people, stuff their gobs with utter abandon while I chew on an All Bran bar and try to control my murderous impulses. But, not any more. I have discovered a secret pleasure that only millions of other people know about. Hostess 100 calorie packs.

Manna from Hostess

Ordinarily anything Hostess is a WW no go. Really, the point counter just laughs if you try to enter the word Twinkies. But these beat the system. Three little cakes, 100 calories. One point. And they have more fiber than the All Bran bars -- which I'm pretty sure are made of rope . And they taste good. Like the icing top of the normal cupcakes. I never realized what was missing in my life until I found these little pieces of happiness.

The first time I ate a pack I consumed them very slowly -- hoping to make it last. But now I just stack all three on top of each other for a truly gluttonous feeling. And then I smile at my newsroom collegues with cholocate smeared teeth.

Now, if only someone would make a 100 calorie bowl of carbonara...

4 comments:

Amanda said...

I am pretty sure that if you put my office up against the newsroom, we would win the food-a-thon. I am sure that the phrase, "Who ate the two-week old pizza" has been asked here more than once & with utter seriousness.

I have decided to have an entire diet consisting of 100 calorie packs. Just think of all 16 of the tasty packs I could eat each day... mmmmmmmm...

Anonymous said...

NO, the faculty room--where mice have been SEEN scampering around the inside of the popcorn machine and yet every Tuesday and Thursday teachers are observed shuffling from the room carrying huge bags of tasty yellow flavored popcorn. Now that's a big yummmmmmm

Tara said...

Just eat all your food standing up, Lib. It doesn't count if you're standing up. Or at a party. And I think the counter runs backwards if you eat standing up AT a party.

Tara said...

Just eat all your food standing up, Lib. It doesn't count if you're standing up. Or at a party. And I think the counter runs backwards if you eat standing up AT a party.