Monday, November 14, 2011

The Time of His Life

In the past week Ryan and I have discovered that Netflix has many of our 1980's favorites on demand. We've watched "Lost Boys," and "St. Elmo's Fire" and Saturday night (date night) I had the perfect film picked out -- "Dirty Dancing."

Ryan was NOT excited. Not even in a "nostalgic, wow we were young when this movie came out isn't it corny to watch it now" kind of way. He suggested a compromise, but "Point Break" isn't available for streaming. Besides, I wanted something romantic, not bromantic.

I made him a deal.

If he would sit through a 30 minute, fast forwarding to all of my favorite parts "Dirty Dancing" viewing without any snide comments or eye rolling, then he could decide what we would do with the rest of the time until we had to go pick up Meg from my parents -- maybe even a little dirty dancing of our own.

He almost made it.

In the last scene, where Johnny Castle and Baby are dancing together for all the world to see, Ryan just couldn't help himself. A huge sigh escaped his lips, and he said "oh, just kiss him, he's so dreamy." His eyes were rolling so hard in his head I could hear them.

Poor guy. A deal is a deal though.

I might give him another chance though. I just found out "Strictly Ballroom" is available for streaming...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, man. Robin wouldn't have made it that long. I love Stricktly Ballroom, it's one of my favorites from back then.

Anonymous said...

Can't beat the dancing man. Who knew that movie would live forever:)

apluseffort said...

LOL. Good try on his part. Somehow I missed out on the 80s. I didn't know I was sheltered but clearly I was, since I didn't see most of those movies until college. Strictly Ballroom is still on my never-seen list.

Anonymous said...

You got more out of him than I would have gotten out of Joey. If I even pause on the selection when it's on TV, he groans and says, "Do you HATE me?"

But I do the same when he tries to turn on Red Dawn. I despise that movie.

Jen said...

Hah! At least he made it that far.

Riot Kitty said...

At least he stayed in your city. Mr. RK wouldn't do that if I even mentioned Dirty Dancing.

Granny Annie said...

Too bad if someone doesn't like DIRTY DANCING, I do. Nobody puts Baby in the corner!

Erin said...

You have to go back and watch Twin Peaks again.

Elizabeth said...

Hah! I don't think Eric would even consider watching that with me. Maybe if I trick him into it?