Sunday, April 10, 2011

Twenty One Months

This month has been really hard. It is the month we realized Meg growing up isn't just a cute possibility, but a concrete reality; and that we not only have to let her, but help her do it.


This is the month we moved from a high chair to a booster. When we put the playpen away. When we started thinking about buying a toddler bed because the crib is having a hard time containing her. When she started not only wanting to sit on the potty, but peeing when we set her on it. When I looked in her face and saw what she will look like as a teenager.

Yeah, I almost lost it then.

While I'm sad to not have a baby any more, and wonder where that time went (I mean, those nights when she wouldn't sleep seemed endless, how did they go so fast?), every day that we get to see Meg grow and change and turn into the wonderful little person is becoming more than makes up for it. While we have learned she is extraordinarily stubborn, and will do what ever it takes to get her own way, we have also learned how loving and kind she is. She cannot hear a baby crying without wanting to help, and she is always willing to share with anyone -- even the dog. I kind of wish she wouldn't share with Sally though; that dog is packing on the pounds.

It is also fun to see just how smart Meg is, and how her mind works. Things like memorizing colors or shapes aren't interesting her, but she can sing full songs, repeat back things she heard only once, and is utterly fearless when it comes to trying new things. She will yell "I try it" before jumping on the monkey bars, or climbing up a net, or going down a slide. We just run alongside to make she she doesn't get too hurt. Meg also makes up the most fabulous dances, and is trying to tell jokes. Yes, the jokes suck, saying "diaper" when holding a shoe and then laughing uproariously is not high comedy, but she's trying.

Our growing girl is also becoming a master of manipulation. The other day she started screaming when I was leaving for work, yelling "cuddle, Mama, cuddle." I got her out of her crib and was about to call and quit my job when she hopped down off my lap, looked back at me, and said "I want fruit leather" as she ran to the kitchen.

I would be mad if she wasn't damn cute.

Oh how we love our (rapidly getting bigger) girl. Love, love, love our girl.

13 comments:

JPierce said...

This post made me teary-eyed. Thank you for a glimpse of what's to come.

Amanda said...

Aww... She got your sense of humor! Mom and I were laughing tonight about Meg's devilish side. She is adoreable.

Jill VT said...

I think that is my favorite part of motherhood: finding out who these little people are...with a front row seat. It is so much fun.

erin said...

And a 2T funny bunny shirt to boot. I said 'to boot', oh boy, I'm just beyond weird.

I always say this but I love Meg! She would so be a house favorite if you didn't live across country.

Riot Kitty said...

That is so adorable! You are lucky. Not all kids are kind AND cute AND funny. She is lucky to have you and Ryan.

Jen said...

So wonderful! E bypassed the booster seat. Once she was done with the high chair, she didn't want anything to do with assistance in the big chair. It's nice to have your Meg a little younger than E so I can relive it. It goes so very fast indeed.

Jen Has A Pen said...

I love being able to learn of her milestones along with you. Such an exciting- yet gut wrenching time.

Kelly said...

I love when they start getting their sense of humor. It's so funny to watch them see what is funny. I think the shoe, "diaper" thing is hilarious. I'd have been laughing right along with her.

I love your girl.

Anonymous said...

It goes by so fast. Enjoy it now.

Hippo Brigade said...

Oh Meg! You are so fun. We should have tea, and you can tell me all your jokes. I'll even laugh at the mediocre ones. I mean saying, "diaper!" when you're holding up a shoe? Come one, that's rich.

Rassles said...

I don't know, man. That diaper joke is brilliant.

justmakingourway said...

It does suck in some ways when they leave those baby stages - but the new ones are so exciting too. I so know your feelings.

Samantha said...

What a sweet post. I am totally familiar with this feeling. Lately I've been realizing that I don't even have a LITTLE KID anymore. She's like, a person. I even installed a shoe rack in her closet to celebrate. Weird.