Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Twenty Months

We may have made a mistake in naming Meg. Her middle name really should be danger.


Meg's last month has been filled with death defying leaps, stunt crawls, eating things they wouldn't put on "Fear Factor," and basically looking common sense in the face and laughing. She no longer wants to wear her straps in her car seat, or in any other seat for that matter, and will get out of them in seconds if she can. Once she is out of them she will try and stand, or reach, or twirl or jump, regardless of if she on a chair that can tip, a shopping cart four feet off the ground, or in a moving car. You know, because that's how she rolls.

She climbs like she is trying to reach a world record, or give me a heart attack. If I turn around for a moment she gets up on a chair, then the table, and is reaching for the chandelier by the time I look back. Last night I walked maybe three steps away from her to get a blanket from her crib, and when I turned back she was up on the rocking chair, with one foot on the bookcase, reaching for a decorative toy that is most definitely a choking hazard.

Of course, every hero has an Achilles' heel, and Meg's is people who want to give her attention. Yes, that is when she becomes "shy" and buries her head into my legs or Ryan's shoulders, pretending she just can't stand the thought of facing the cold cruel world.

The minute they stop paying attention though? She's strapping on her waterskis and getting ready to jump that shark -- wearing her leather jacket, of course.

Oh, how we love our girl.

14 comments:

Granny Annie said...

What a "terrifying" joy Meg is! I found my son on top of the refrigerator one morning and he was about that same age. We are delighted at one moment and absolutely filled with fear the next.

Jen said...

Love this! E does the shy thing pretty seriously, but when she's comfortable, she's very energetic and outgoing.

Kelly said...

I don't think Mea has a shy bone in her body, but when she plays shy it's pretty funny. I love Meg.

BugginWord said...

Two words: Reality Show. Get that girl earning money, STAT.

Mandy_Fish said...

She is so cute it's ridiculous.

Unknown said...

OMG she's so cute. I wish I could say that it gets easier. It doesn't though. Sorry. Kids with no fear typically stay that way. I have gray hair because of Elijah. Just sayin...

Unknown said...

I love the picture! I just want to pick her up and hug her. Love those pajamas. :)

G. B. Miller said...

Love that fashion statement of the P.J.'s, scuba mask and flippers.

Reminds me of my son when he was her age when he used to do things like climb up on a ladder and stand on the roof of the garage.

Riot Kitty said...

What a cute picture!

Jill VT said...

I'm no expert - yet - maybe that will come when I have five functional, employed children living outside of the home - but thus far the toughest age for me has been between one and two. It is freaking intense. She is super yummy, as you know!

Me, You, or Ellie said...

She's training you two beautifully. I'm so proud of her!

:)

Ellie

Jen Has A Pen said...

I hear the Top Gun theme song when I look at that picture. Honest.

Phil said...

Love the picture and love this post. It makes me miss the days when my boys were that age. It's fun watching Meg grow up through your blog.

manders said...

that photo is adorable