Monday, June 14, 2010

Cooking* With Libby

I actually am a pretty good cook. No, really I am. I make hard stuff, like pies; and things that call for saffron and stuff like that. However, tonight was the first really perfect summer night of the season. The first night that if felt like warm weather may stick around, and that snow boots can be safely be put away in the back of the closet until October. It was not a night for serious cooking. And we had a whole lot of leftover watermelon that needed to be used.

Watermelon margaritas, anyone?

Now, I know that there are tons of "recipes" on the web for watermelon margaritas. Yeah, but those call for muddlers, or strainers, or simple syrup, or even basil. I looked at them, but that was getting to close to cooking. So I kept it simple. I put the watermelon in the blender, added white whiskey (even better than tequila in my book), and orange liquor.


It didn't taste perfect yet though, so I threw in some lime juice and ice. Then, it was heaven. Frothy, pink, vitamin C packed heaven.


Even Ryan liked it. Oh, but he put his is a dark glass while he was outside mowing the lawn. He has a rep to maintain.

Oh, and don't worry. This isn't all we had for dinner. I threw together some of the simplest sesame noodles ever known to man. They definitely weren't this pretty though.

Summer feels good so far.

21 comments:

She Said said...

OK, if Greg OR I ever need a couch to crash on because he is a slacker and isn't blogging and I've had enough of it and head east, I so have dibs on your couch IF YOU MAKE THOSE!

Anonymous said...

Now it's possible that I am the biggest margarita fan on EARTH, so I'm drooling right now, even though I hate melon as a rule. But I make my own fresh strawberry or raspberry ones every year and even just the regular lime from a mix if I'm feeling lazy. I LOVE MARGARITAS!

J said...

Great way to kick off the summer! Wish I had such confidence in the kitchen.

Ash said...

YES PLEASE to the watermelon margharita! :D

~ash's mum

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Welcome to summer, it's been here in TN for two months now.

LL Cool Joe said...

Looks good, so Ryan didn't ask for a little umbrella and a cherry on the top then? :D

Anonymous said...

Summer is so great. And those cocktails looked deeelish and refreshing! Well done. You got skillz, girl.

Dual Mom said...

I freeze the watermelon. That way you don't have to use ice. Try it... you'll love it! And in case you didn't know...watermelon contains an ingredient that prevents hangovers...so bottoms up!

Kim said...

I use a sesame noodle recipe I got off Pioneer Woman-- it's basically the same but she uses garlic and some rice wine vinegar, also some Sriracha hot sauce.

That is perhaps the most benign comment I have ever made on here.

Anonymous said...

My kind of cooking :0)

I'm a good cook too, a dab hand at beans on toast. Yep!

BugginWord said...

I'm intrigued by this white whiskey of which you speak. I'm so confused. As a rule, I stay away from brown liquor but what is this new concoction? This is more traumatic than when they introduced clear pepsi.

Anonymous said...

I am the only human being on earth who doesn't like watermelon but that does look lovely and refreshing. Here comes summer! My version will have strawberries.

Unknown said...

Can I come to your house to eat? I hate to cook. I can cook, and Im pretty good at it...... I just hate it. Except at Thanksgiving.
Im definitely going to try that margi. Sounds yummy

Riot Kitty said...

Love sesame noodles...I'll definitely try that recipe.

Samantha said...

Oh my, does that look good. L'Chaim!

mylittlebecky said...

mmmmm, i adore watermelon margaritas!

Unknown said...

Yum. And what's saffron? I kid, Fancypants.

Jen said...

Oooohhh, nice! Margaritas = my favorite.... Yummy.

Jill VT said...

Wow! I'm impressed...you can bartend chez moi anytime. Post more of your favorite recipes!

Anonymous said...

I'd like to just stick my head in a vat of that and die happy.

Aunt Juicebox said...

Yum. That is all.